Thursday, March 22, 2012

Conflict Resolution Reflection

My greatest communication strength is that I do not shy away from conflict, so I always try to speak my mind in the best manner possible. I consider this my greatest strength because even though there are times where I have good intentions but am not able to communicate the message I wish to transmit, I always try as opposed to letting things pass. By shying away from conflict, you are giving up on potential solutions by succumbing to someone else's ideas when you might have something to bring to the table that might yield a better solution or perhaps a compromise. By not shying away from conflict, though there are times where I do not have the best disposition and have to work on that, I allow for the opportunity of a multifaceted solution. My greatest weakness is that I tend to think that I am right unless proven otherwise and this attitude borders on arrogance (and sometimes it crosses the line) and I will not listen to my teammates or do so in a non-receptive manner. I do not always give people the benefit of the doubt and listen to their ideas or suggestions in a rather defensive manner, which hinders the resolution process. I have worked with teams my whole life and have had bad experiences with teammates that do not pull their own weight, but it is unfair for me to judge my present and future teammates with grievances not committed by them. What I can do better to communicate with my Summit team is be willing to hear all of their ideas and be in a much more receptive manner. In the next conflict that arises within our group I will try to voice my opinion clearly and simply, and be completely open for any criticism or reform that I may encounter it. I will seek the opinions of my teammates to improve or substitute my ideas, rather than seeking mainly their approval of mine. A good leader knows when and how to listen, and I have been lacking in both.

Pedro

No comments:

Post a Comment