Sunday, March 25, 2012

February 17th Class on Communication

Our Summit meeting on February 17 largely discussed communication and conflict resolution.  After taking a few diagnostic surveys, I came to discover that I fell into the turtle category.  Turtles are avoiders of conflict, which is very accurate to the way I handle conflicts that I find myself a part of.  I tend to duck into my shell and wait for the worst of it to blow over, hoping that I won't have to deal with it if I don't have to.  It is not exactly the most effective means of facing conflict, and I must admit that I do find myself avoiding situations that I may know to be important to face.  There have not been many times that this has happened in our Summit group, as we get along pretty well.  If I hope to improve myself as both a leader and a member of a team, however, I know that I must make an effort to express myself in a situations even if it may make me a bit uncomfortable.  A mere lack of conflict is not always the best option, for conflict is a great catalyst for growth.

Ryan Coleman

No comments:

Post a Comment