Saturday, May 5, 2012

Final Blog

As this Leadership course comes to an end, I try to remember what exactly I expected and felt at the very beginning. I was anxious to meet the boys who I thought would constantly display evidence of their troubled pasts. They have a long way to go and it is truly incredible to see people take care of them day after day as their jobs, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that they were as rambunctious and annoying as other kids who have been lucky enough to have a safe growing environment. I learned as a leader how important it is to be on the same page when two different groups are trying to communicate with one another. We had a couple of transparency issues along the way, in which the intended message was not the same as the received message. I will strive for more diligence in my communication skills, for the few errors we made could have been avoided or easily corrected had we been a little more 'on the ball.' The importance of speaking your mind was also highlighted during the course of the year. It is difficult to live with the people that you are having a project with...conflict will always arise. If however, a healthy dialogue setup is created where we can speak to each other clearly and directly, without being rude or raising any tone...then there is no reason to shy away from conflict but use it as a medium during the few times a conflict arises, to be more in sync with one another. I enjoyed this project very much and I do not believe I have played with the kids from Boys and Girls Town for the last time. 


Pedro

No comments:

Post a Comment