Tuesday, May 1, 2012

How I Changed

We really enjoyed working with Boys and Girls Town this past year. When we started this project our primary goal was to create relationships with these kids and let them know that we wanted to be a part of their lives. I think that our group accomplished. We always enjoyed getting to go over there and hangout with them, often just doing whatever they wanted to do, but all the while sharing experiences which helped our relationship develop. We also got to take the kids to several different events that they wouldn't normally get to go to and watching them having a good time was always rewarding for us. Also, I kept realizing that each time we were with them we were reminded as to how fortunate and blessed each of us has been and that it is our responsibility to help fill a void that other people have created in the lives of these kids. I think this realization helped to change me a person by not only helping me recognize but also truly appreciate the things that I have in my life. It also helped me to grow and understand the many different ways that I can help others and make a positive difference in my community. Another thing I realized was how important community service is to a community. People need to take a stronger initiative and go out to the places around them because there is so much that the we can offer to these non-profit organizations. I hope that in the future I will get an opportunity to continue my community service in Springfield because it has been one of the most enriching and rewarding experiences I've had during my college career.

No comments:

Post a Comment